Are you feeling antsy, fidgety and restless? Maybe you’re dying to get outside and clean up your yard after a long, hard winter. If you’re distracted by sunshine and bird songs, it might be time to change your routine.
You’ve probably been hard at work all fall and winter – first getting ready for end-of-year craft shows and the holiday season, and then getting inventory listed online and ramping up production to fill up the inventory again. You might have found yourself doing lots of web surfing, pinning, and other “back-end” chores over the past month or two. After all, it’s been dark and cold and you haven’t had much else to do.
But now that spring has very nearly sprung (both on the calendar and outside), you are probably finding new things to do and they might not have much to do with your business.
Perhaps you’re torn – you know there is plenty of work you can do on your business but you’re dying to spend some time outdoors or spring cleaning the house.
Here are a few tips for having the best of both worlds:
- Look at your regular work routine. Can you work a little longer on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (for example) and then take Tuesday and Thursday off for home and yard work? Can you spend mornings working on chores and then work on your business later in the day so you are making the best use of outdoor daylight hours?
- Now that you don’t have to fight snow plows and raging winds, take your laptop to the local coffee shop and sit outside for a bit. Fresh air and sunshine while you work is a great way to have your cake and eat it too.
- Bring the outdoors in. Plant some flowers or start some seedlings and put them where you can see them. Having a little dirt and plant life nearby may just trick your brain into feeling like you are enjoying some outdoor life even when you aren’t.
- Take several short breaks. Even if you have to set a timer for 30-60 minutes, be sure to get some outdoor time so that you feel better about the time you spend indoors. Eat your lunch near a window, take a few laps around the block when you check the mail or walk to school to pick up the kids. Even spending just an hour or so extra outside will boost your spirits and help make work more enjoyable.
- Get some exercise and take the family along. Have you been stuck on the treadmill, or in the gym all winter? Get outside and take a walk, hike a trail or visit the zoo or dog park. You’ll be surprised at how much happier the whole family will be after a bit of fun outside. Besides, you’ll wear out the little people and might just buy yourself a bit of peace and quiet to finish up a few last minute business details.
Don’t think that just because you run your own business that you can take some time to enjoy the changing seasons. With a small shuffle in your normal routine you will find that you CAN get outside and enjoy spring.