One of the most important things–perhaps the most important thing–you can do after starting your handmade business, is to make sure people are actually seeing your products. YouTube is one of the best possible tools for this job. Videos travel fast and are seen by many. They also ensure that people are not only seeing your products, but seeing you and connecting with your company. Here are some of the benefits your business will enjoy by building a strong presence on YouTube.
1. More Eyeballs
Sharing a fun and creative video on YouTube about your products and how they work will help get them seen. You want your videos to show people how your products will improve their lives or solve a problem for them. This will make viewers more likely to share your videos on social media. Also be sure to be a social on YouTube by responsive to comments on your videos and interacting with other designer’s content.
2. Quick Market Research
Is your new jewelry line almost ready for prime time but not quite? Do you wonder if there is a market or if your pieces are too big and bold? Post a video sharing a few of your favorites and ask for feedback. If there is anything folks on YouTube like, it’s sharing an opinion.
3. Easily Accessible Customer Service
Do you create scarves that can be worn in a myriad of ways? Create a video showing how the scarves can be worn, and, when people ask for inspiration, you can point them to your video!
4. Direct Traffic to Your Website
Creating YouTube videos that are informative and entertaining can help drive traffic to your website for further sales. Share links to related items, to a behind-the-scenes blog post, or a page on your site that shares your vision for your business.
5. More Bang for Your Advertising Buck
Paying for ads in magazines, on other websites, or blogs and social media platforms can get quite expensive. By creating your own YouTube videos, you have FREE advertising for your products that you can also share on all of the other platforms mentioned above.
Some Final Thoughts..
1. YouTube is global – if you only want to sell your handmade products at local craft shows, you might find yourself answering lots of emails about shipping overseas.
2. Consider monetizing your videos with Google Adsense for even more return on your time and effort!
3. You can use YouTube analytics to determine which products and/or videos are resonating with viewers. This will give you an idea of what you might create more of.
4. Use all of the available features that the platform offers to be sure you are getting the most out of it. For instance, you can link your Facebook and Twitter accounts to your YouTube account page.