How does a person prepare to tape a segment for a craft TV show? Maria gives you a behind-the-scenes look.
A while back, I taped several TV segments for FaveCrafts.com that aired on Creative Living with Sheryl Borden on PBS. The photo (right) shows me on the set with Sheryl Borden. It’s always a thrill to do TV segments, but there is a ton of prepping to do. First you must write an outline of what your segment will focus on including Topic, Details, Time, Demo, and all contact information. I thought I’d share one of my segment outlines so you’d see an example of what is submitted to a TV host or segment producer. Though different programs might request different things, this is a good, general template to follow.
Sample of a TV Segment Proposal
Maria Nerius for FaveCrafts.com November 18, 2010
To: Creative Living PBS, S. Borden
Segment 1 Title: Flowers & Pom Poms Oh My!
Description: This segment will show off the hottest yarns in a crafty fashion. Featuring a variety of specialty and trendy yarns in the latest home décor and fashion colors through 2011. Pom poms are back! And you’ll never believe just how easy it is to make amazing pom pom shapes including the new hearts pom poms using a cool template. Embellish, make jewelry, and so much more. Plus a peek at some fun accessories. This segment will also include flower loom. Retro is hip and hot. Make these fun flowers to use as embellishments, stitch together for a throw, or add a pinback to make a brooch.
Project Demos (instructions below, images attached)
School Spirit Shoe Charms: Making the Perfect Pom Pom
Retro Flower Brooch
Maria Nerius, Craft Expert & In-House Designer at www.FaveCrafts.com; editor of Creative Income, a free e-newsletter with a focus on selling your crafts.
FaveCrafts’ Quick& Crafty and Creative Income Newsletter Sign Up: www.favecrafts.com
You can find all the products and projects discussed in this segment at
Companies: Clover USA, Premier Yarns, Fiskars, EK Success
School Spirit Shoe Charms
- Clover Pom Pom Maker Small
- Premier Yarn
- Darning needle (needle with large eye)
- Following pom pom maker instructions and using school colors, wrap your yarn, tie off leaving at least 4” extra on each side (so you can attach to shoes), and remove from maker. Repeat 3 more times.
- Trim pom poms to nice round shape. Attach two pom poms together using a darning needle and trim tie offs down to only 2. Attach to shoes on game day!
Retro Flower Brooch
- Clover Hana-Ami Flower Loom
- Premier yarn in your choice of colors
- Assorted beads, buttons, charms*
- Needle and thread or fabric glue
*Blumenthal Lansing buttons, K&Company 3-D stickers, Blue Moon bead mixes.
- Decide on your color choices of yarn. Using the Hana-Ami flower loom create a flower, tie off, and remove from loom.
- Embellish center of flower with beads, buttons, or charms. You can sew on or glue on. Allow to dry. Adhere pinback to back of flower.
And that’s it! That’s a sample of what I sent for every segment we did.
Don’t forget that we have a newsletter! Make sure you’re subscribed to Creative Income newsletter so that you never miss an important article. Sign up today!