Starting out a crafting business can be scary. Most of us start online through an Etsy shop (or something similar). A great way to gain exposure for your company is to showcase at local craft shows and fairs. It’s an opportunity to network and give customers a chance to see, smell touch your products.
As we begin a new year, I thought it would be a good time to share my 10 TIPS TO ROCK IT AT YOUR NEXT CRAFT SHOW:
- GOTCHA: You have 3-5 seconds to grab a customer’s attention.
- DISPLAY: Space, Clean, add height or risers to grab the customers eye.
- DEMO YOUR PRODUCT: (ie. if you sell jewelry wear it, demo your products if you can) – have a sample out that people can touch, feel, taste.
- WHO ARE YOU? When a customer walks by do they know who you are and what you’re selling? Think about a banner or a sign.
- ATTRACT: Attract customers to your booth – Free samples, candy, games, prize draw.
- ADVERTISE: Tell your contacts what booth you’ll be at; maybe offer your present customers a discount for coming to the event. This is where social media and your mailing list comes in handy.
- SMILE: Be friendly, start conversation ‘hello’, SMILE (there is nothing worse than a vendor that seems uninterested, grumpy or bored at their booth, it turns away customers).
- PRICE IT RIGHT: Vary price points (for example you may have a piece that is $100 but also make sure you have something in the $20 range or lower to grab impulse buys).
- BUILD: Have a mailing list on your booth so customers can sign up. It may lead to a future sale and it helps build your client list.
- FOLLOW-UP: Post event follow-up with everyone you meet (promptly after the show). It can be as simple as a quick “Thank-you for visiting my booth”.
Join the 34,000 other crafty business owners who get new articles in their inbox by subscribing to our newsletter today!
Latest posts by CreativeIncome (see all)
- Small Business Saturday: The Luft Balloon Store - April 11, 2015
- What Your Craft Fair Booth Says About Your Handmade Business - April 8, 2015
- 3 Things that Will Make Your Craft Booth Instantly Appealing to Customers - March 26, 2015